[PD] Pd-0.38.4-extendedRC4 for Windows and Mac OS X

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Nov 24 20:15:09 CET 2005

On Nov 24, 2005, at 6:23 AM, vincent rioux wrote:

>  Hi all,
>
>  Following Anders, I must say I am very impressed by your work Hans.
>  Pd-extended greatly facilitates access to Pd for people attending
> workshops for example.
>  I found myself quite worry about explaining things people don't want
> to hear about (the over-complicated bundle stuff on macosx or event pd
> command-line options, etc.).
>  Maintaining a boosted pd on the two proprietary platforms sounded
> quite difficult to me, but... :-)
>  I have the same remaks as Anders concerning the windoz version (I am
> no developer neither).
>  Even if it is not that difficult to install, a Gem.dll would be quite
> welcome.
>  Other details include :
>  - this strange 01-manual behaviour
>  - the desktop shortcut does not work (it points to pd/pd.exe instead
> pf /pd/bin/pd.exe)

On the TODO list.

>  - in my install at least, Pd->File->Startup does not want to save
> settings (when i want to remove gem2pdp for example... :-() .

I think this is a standing bug in Pd I think...

>  I am also a bit confused with pdp on windoz - what can we expect
> honestly?
>  - would it be possible to compile this little piece of art on windoz
> (sevy probably has no idea about that ;-) ?
>  - could we see pdp_rec~ on osx in the future?

Nothing for now, unless someone ports it to Windows.  I think it should
be possible using MinGW and Quicktime, and maybe not even that hard
since MinGW provides a very Linux-like environment and Quicktime is
basically the same on Windows and Mac, AFAIK.

>  Otherwise I don't know how difficult it would be to include
> readanysf~, we talked about that several months ago on this very list
> but it seems to me that, still, nobody can provide a decent compiled
> version on windoz or osx. By the way, are you planning to release any
> add-ons on readanysf~, August?

>  I also would dream to have pyext included de-facto - but this sounds
> a bit out of range on windows even if Python.dll could as well be
> included after all.  By the way, I got several examples of
> disappearing pyext boxes on windoz machines (it seems that Gem and
> pyext don't cohabitate that well).

If someone gives me a binary, I can throw it in for now. But it should
to be added to the pd-extended build system to guarantee that its in
future distros.

>  Anyway, thanks again Hans, for this excellent contribution!

Thanks for the sponsors for spurring this effort:

- Thanks to those of you who have sent me donations, it definitely is
appreciated and keeps me going.

- The cross-platform development was sponsored by Digital Media
Research Centre the University of the West of England, Bristol,
organized by Martin Dupras

- The Windows development was sponsored by the Music Acoustics Group,
Kungliga Tekniska högskolan, Stockholm and the S2S^2 European
coordinating action, organized by Anders Friberg

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!   Its time to eat!

.hc