[PD] why won't flext build?

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Sun Jan 1 22:57:36 CET 2006

Hi Alexandre,

> alexandre-mathesons-power-mac-g5:~ alex$ cd ~/desktop/flext
> alexandre-mathesons-power-mac-g5:~/desktop/flext alex$ bash build.sh
> pd gcc
> --
> A default system configuration file has been created.
> Please edit ./buildsys/config-mac-pd-gcc.txt
> to match your platform, then start again.
> --
> make: *** [buildsys/config-mac-pd-gcc.txt] Error 1
>

> I modified this file to reflect my system and then typed sudo bash
> build.sh pd gcc install and it created the config file:
>

> alexandre-mathesons-power-mac-g5:~/desktop/flext alex$ sudo bash
> build.sh pd gcc install
>

> Now I'm stuck I don't think I need sndobj and stk support I just want
> to compile fluid~ cause I got a whole whack of sounfonts but now when
> I try to install I get this message:
>

> alexandre-mathesons-power-mac-g5:~/desktop/flext alex$ sudo bash
> build.sh pd gcc install
> make -f ./buildsys/gnumake-sub.mak PLATFORM=mac RTSYS=pd COMPILER=gcc
> BUILDPATH=./buildsys/ PKGINFO=package.txt BUILDCLASS=flext
> USRCONFIG=config.txt USRMAKE=build/gnumake-mac-gcc.inc
> TARGETMODE=release TARGETTYPE=single _install_
> buildsys/mac/gnumake-gcc-flext.inc:27: warning: overriding commands
> for target `pd-darwin/release-single'
> buildsys/mac/gnumake-gcc-flext.inc:24: warning: ignoring old commands
> for target `pd-darwin/release-single'
> install pd-darwin/release-single/libflext-pd_s.0.5.0.a /usr/local/lib
> install: pd-darwin/release-single/libflext-pd_s.0.5.0.a: No such file
> or directory
> make[1]: *** [_install_] Error 71
> make: *** [install-release-single] Error 2
> alexandre-mathesons-power-mac-g5:~/desktop/flext alex$
>

> So what am I doing wrong? I have gotten 4 errors in total, error 1
> twice and error 2 and error 71.

the point is that after editing config-mac-pd-gcc.txt you'll have to
run "build.sh pd gcc" again, NOT "build.sh pd gcc install".
I'll have to include this into the docs, it seems to be a very common
source of problems - "build install" doesn NOT automatically build the
flext package, it just wants to install it, which is not possible if it
hasn't been built before.

best greetings,
Thomas