[PD] vbap and matrix~

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon Jan 2 10:02:28 CET 2006

Georg Holzmann wrote:
> Hallo!
>
>> i have another question....
>> in the vbap patch there is a matrix that sends the amplitudes to matrix~,
>> which is really handy.
>> so if i substitute matrix, with mtx, i get errors and i dont have the
>> help-files. Not for mtx_*~ and not for mtx.
>
> yes, I know ... I think the problem is, that the syntax of mtx_*~ is
> different than of the one of matrix~ (is this correct?)
> I only remeber that I had the same problem because an objects behaves a
> little bit different in iemmatrix ...

[mtx_*~] behaves different from [matrix~].
however, [matrix~] still exists in iemmatrix (although it is
deprecated), and it is (at least: should be) 100% compatible with the
original one (though faster)

the difference between the 2 objects is:
[matrix~] : o^=i^ * A
[mtx_*~]  : o^=B * i^
(so B:=A')
why? because [matrix~] is thought of in a pd-way (hot/cold-inlets,
creation arguments,...), while [mtx_*~] reflects the ways of
mathematicians a bit better (you will hardly ever find a term like
o^=i^*A in literature)

so recommendations from the authors are:
if you have old patches using zexy's [matrix~], go ahead with iemmatrix.
they should work out of the box.
if you are doing new patches with iemmatrix, use (the new syntax of)
[mtx_*~].

mfg.asdr.
IOhannes