[PD] set up for pd on linux? -- ubuntu

vincent rioux vincent.rioux at no-log.org
Mon Jan 2 12:20:54 CET 2006

ok thanks for all these remarks,
then if i understood you well, you point out pbs with gnome/kde and
upgrades in Ubuntu (by the way installing kde from (G)Ubuntu is a one
step process: apt-get install kubuntu-desktop).

may i just add that my experience of Ubuntu showed me that :
- it is easy to set-up fluxbox (which might be preferable for
performances reasons and provides a clear interface :-).
- if you stick to universe and multiverse sources (in
/apt/get/sources.list), it is quite sure that you won't end up with an
unstable system.

finally, i would just like to say that Ubuntu is a good choice for
debian/linux beginners (like me).
I would agree with you Frank, that one would probably get more freedom
with a genuine debian install or a gentoo for example, but still, it
seems to me that it requires a substantial  extra-amount of knowledge
and time.

best,
vincent