[PD] jpeg patchworks with Gem ?

Ian Nault slavemachine at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 6 06:27:34 CET 2006

I've had some fun with [pix_mix]... it's good for blending two pictures
together... the only requirement is that the image sizes must match, which
can be a pain for different sized images... additionally, if you use Gem to
wrap a video file to a texture using [pix_texture] you can then use
[pix_mix] to blend between the two videos... try playing with the homer.avi
in the Gem tutorials, use two different instances of it running into
[pix_texture] and then use [pix_mix] to blend them together... once i can
figure out a way to dump to video (haven't gotten into PiDiP/PDP yet) i can
show some examples, i've been playing with vnc2swf but i can't figure out
how to up the framerate of it, it seems to be more gauged for video
tutorials.
I'll try to upload some screenshots of some of my Gem patches in action
later this week... I have a sequencable sample looper (mainly for
breakbeats) that uses a [phasor~] as a lookup, times the number of
samples... i routed the [phasor~] to an outlet and made another patch that
multiplies it times the number of frames in a video file, allows for some
cool audio/video sync between a breakbeat and a video.
For a fun time, have someone good with photoshop make a picture and then
tweak it out, make a few different versions of it, then play around with
[pix_mix]... i don't know if it'll be useful for collage/patchwork-like
projects, but it's nice to mix between two or more images, especially if
they're all similar.
-Ian