[PD] IntelMacs & PD/GEM

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Tue Jan 17 10:02:07 CET 2006

hi

Thomas Kronlachner wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> This is my first post here on this list. So I've been working with
> pd/gem for half a year now. I am very focused on gem in combination with
> video/audio. I always had the restriction of my hardware, my computer
> was not powerful enough. so I tend to get a new one. My intention is to
> by one new IntelMacs. since I really want to get hold of an computer
> that can handle this I intened to go for this plattform.  So I do have a
> couple of questions:

you have probably noticed that just recently (yesterday!) a similar
question popped up....people seem to be very excited about this

> 1. do you think that there is a future for pd/gem on this plattform?

generally i don't think there is such a thing like future, but of course
MacIntel will be supported by both pd/Gem
hey both pd and Gem where among the first applications that have been
known to run on MacIntel (at least that is how i interprete the fact,
that both pd and Gem have been successfully tested on last year's apple
developer conference, when the MacIntel was first published)

> 2. How was the overall performance of PD/GEM on a mac in general.

on current macs, Gem outperforms other platforms in 2 aspects:
+ a lot of pix_sh!t has been optimized for AltiVec (some pix-objects are
MMX optimized (but fewer than for AltiVec), and none has yet been
optimized for SSE2); due to the nature of this optimization you will
gain nothing from it on MacIntel.
+ the video-path (for texturing a lot of changing images, like video or
movies) to the gfx-card has been optimized. i guess you will persist on
the MacIntel.

> 3. What are your expectations or estimations on this issue?

personally, i wouldn't go for the very first MacIntels. I expect several
problems (none of which i could name) which will surely get fixed within
the next months.

mfg.asdr.
IOhannes