[PD] IntelMacs & PD/GEM

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Tue Jan 17 17:36:54 CET 2006

hi Thomas,

I run PD/Gem on both linux and MAC machines. (no mactel)

Gem seems a lot more efficient for video on OSX, this is probably due to
the very nice (proprietary) video decoders and quicktime making it all
integrated. (and the developers being very adept at optimizing for the
MAC platform).

Still without making lots of efforts audio in PD (with a crappy internal
card) seems terrible, the GUI causing dropouts and all kinds of heck,
this does not seem to happen under linux. (with a crappy sounds card).

So I guess it depends on what you want to do with it, video or more 3D
graphics, still images or video processing...

Personally I do performances on the g4 laptop, which has treated me
well, and installations on linux. One day I'll have to give back this g4
and then I guess I'll be doing everything on linux...

Now if someone made linux video decoders perform as well as the OSX
ones, and GEM was full of as much SIMD (or SSE, or whatever its called)
on linux as the OSX version is I think they would be pretty equal.

.b.