[PD] IntelMacs & PD/GEM

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Tue Jan 17 20:27:10 CET 2006

On Jan 17, 2006, at 12:38 PM, Malte Steiner wrote:

> Keep in mind, that the Macintels have the TCP (Trusted Computing
> Platform) chip which is activated and can't be switched off. Again
> Apple is a first with it (implementing and using the chip in the
> os) and they lost me as an customer.

...indeed this is bad news, but I'm not sure if it's a show stopper,
because I don't really know what it means:  How will this be used?
Will it interfere with content that I produce?  Or is it just a way
for copyright holders to assert their rights?  I can see it perhaps
limiting someone from resampling video or audio that has been
"protected" by this tech, but that's not really part of my creative
drive...

...also, a very similar laptop is available from Acer (travelmate
8204WLMi):  http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1907007,00.asp

...anyone know if this is also going to have a TCP setup?  Anyone
know how well linux is supported on it?  When would we see gl drivers
for it?

hmmm,
james