[PD] IntelMacs & PD/GEM

chris clepper cgc at humboldtblvd.com
Tue Jan 17 20:38:02 CET 2006

On 1/17/06, derek holzer <derek at x-i.net> wrote:
> Although I have
> seen situations using a firewire camera where a GEM patch suddenly eats
> 2-300% of the CPU it used every other time you ran it, which I suspect
> has something to do with the drivers used.

Which firewire camera do you see that with?  I have used many (iSight,
iBot, ImagingSource, etc) and not had that problem.  Can you reliably
reproduce it?  If so then post a patch to the list and I can look into
it.

>„THERE IS ALSO AN EXPERIMENTAL PORT TO MAC-OSX"
>
>does not quite sound like what you described. actually it scared me  from
>using Gem quite a bit, until franz of the sat told me that it's  not true.

It's about as experimental as the rest of Pd, which does scare off a
few folks.  I often hear that because there is no company peddling Pd,
it is 'unsupported' and 'unstable'.  Oh well.

Someone should update that IEM page and remove that line.  The link to
my page can probably go since it is pretty out of date as well.

cgc