[PD] Pd-0.38.4-extended-RC7

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Jan 19 22:51:28 CET 2006

On Jan 19, 2006, at 12:32 PM, Piotr Majdak wrote:

> Hi!
>
> geiger wrote:
>> Have you tried to create the objects from iemlib ? Are some
>> of them failing to load ? The advantage of single externals is that
>> they
>> load on demand without having to load a library first, so iemlib in
>> the installer just works (TM) without changes.
>
> I tried immediately what you proposed and yes, pd loads them on
> demand. Great! Is this the way external libraries are linked with pd
> in the future? Just put the dll into /extra and no more restarts?
> That's really nice...
>
> Is this a special feature of pd-devel or can I use it with Miller's
> distros, too?

It'll work with all versions of Pd AFAIK.  Pd-extended has the
advantage of including all the objects, so you don't have to download
yourself.

Here's a little synopsis of the library issue as I see it:

- First, external objects were provided in multi-object/single-file
libraries, like many DLL formats.  There were a lot of problems with
that, mostly revolving around name clashes.

- Next, all objects were built as single files, and put directly in
"extra", so there each object would be loaded on demand. from a
single-object/single-file.  This made name clashes much easier to deal
with.

- In Pd-extended, objects are organized to take advantage of Guenter's
idea for a namespace in Pd.  This means the single-object/single-files
are organized into "libdirs" which are basically folders full of
single-object/single-files that can be loaded as old-style libraries
(with the libdir patch to Pd-core), or used with a namespace prefix
(i.e. [iemlib/prepend] or [maxlib/scale].

Hope that clears things up, sorry for the snippy response before.

.hc