[PD] GEM under ubuntu Breezy...ain't Breezy

John Harrison john.harrison at wichita.edu
Fri Jan 20 23:34:01 CET 2006

Please, if somebody can help me get Gem going on ubuntu Breezy or point
me to an existing binary that works, I'd really appreciate it. when I
compile, make a deb, try to install from the CVS, the deb file is
created fine. When I dpkg it:

john at Dell-D600:~/Desktop/installs/Gem/cvs$ sudo dpkg -i
gem_0.90.cvs14122005-1_i386.deb
(Reading database ... 112012 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace gem 0.90.cvs14122005-1 (using
gem_0.90.cvs14122005-1_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement gem ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gem:
 gem depends on libmagick++9c2a | libmagick++6; however:
  Package libmagick++9c2a is not installed.
  Package libmagick++6 is not installed.
 gem depends on libavifile-0.7c2; however:
  Package libavifile-0.7c2 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing gem (--install):
 gem

I cannot locate these packages for Breezy. The packages I am finding and
are already installed:
libmagick6, libmagick++6c2, libmagick++6-dev and libmagick6-dev.
libavifile-0.7, libavifile-0.7-dev

If I try to run Pd with Gem anyway, I get the error I already mention below.

-John

--
John Harrison
Associate Professor of Violin