R: R: [PD] Re: [PD-announce] clr: externals in CLR assemblies

Davide Morelli info at davidemorelli.it
Sat Jan 21 00:03:47 CET 2006

What I mean is:
AFAIK we can't know which selectors the Assembly will register before
actually initializing the [clr] external: from its argument we'll know which
Assembly the user wants to use..  and to have args we must wait the
class_new() function.

..but I think Thomas' loader patch changes those rules and the clr might be
able to know which Assemblies the user wants to load at class_setup() time
instead of class_new() time...

about SWIG:
I've tried to use it to translate the t_atom to a C# data structure but I
got a lot of source files, I simply couldn't read them.. Maybe because
t_atom isn't that simple and uses other struct and pointers to other struct
and so on.. I simply wrote a simplified atom struct and wrote by hand the
corresponding struct in C#.
I don't know SWIG but isn't it useful if we'd want to call a C library from
C#? we want to do the opposite: call C# from C. we need to access C function
only for callbacks, but once we have a C# Assembly loaded in C we can tell
the assembly to map a C# function declaration to a C implementation very
easily (in mono at least)