[PD] gem2pdp troubles...

John Harrison john.harrison at wichita.edu
Sun Jan 22 15:31:00 CET 2006

ubuntu Breezy:

just compiled gem2pdp from the source. Compilation was fine and the
externals seem to load OK. Pd command window reports gem2pdp 0.6 loading
fine. However, I can't get the gem2pdp.pd help patch to produce the
expected results. It appears that the gem2pdp object's outlet does not
contain data or something. I just get a black screen in the PDP window.
No errors are reported in the Pd command window or the Linux command
line. If it makes a difference, I had to switch video output on PDP from
pdp_xv to pdp_glx. I can see CPU usage shooting up in the patch when I
am rendering in Gem, so something is supposed to be happening. Since I
can get pdp_noise to output to a pdp window, I know the basic PDP output
mechanism is working.

Part of why this is such an issue for me is just trying to get video
files to play. I can't seem to find a way to convert my videos into a
format that pdp or pidip likes. Gem plays 'em fine. If anybody has tips
for me on this (good utilities etc.), I'd appreciate it.

Experimentation has been with the included help-gem2pdp.pd patch in the
reference section of the documentation.

BTW I am also confused about why pdp_XV doesn't work. xvideo output
works fine in other programs, such as vlc. xvinfo reports nothing
unusual. pdp_xv reports that it can't create the window.

I had to compile from the source because the gem2pdp/pdp2gem binaries in
the Breezy repo crash Pd.

Pd 0.38.4
Gem from latest CVSs compiled with -disable-ARB

Thanks in advance,

-John