[PD] gem2pdp troubles...

John Harrison john.harrison at wichita.edu
Sun Jan 22 16:12:15 CET 2006

xvinfo reports:
X-Video Extension version 2.2
screen #0
 no adaptors present

Perhaps I'm wrong that this isn't unusual. If I am wrong, how would I
fix and does it matter or is pdp_glx just as good?

I'll look deeper at the objects you mention. I assume I can convert to
quicktime by reading the video in with pdp_live~ or pdp_theorin~ and
writing them back with pdp_rec~?

Any ideas about how I might fix gem2pdp? pdp2gem works great, btw...

-John

Yves Degoyon wrote:

> ola,
>
> nice report...
>
> well, to rea your video files, the simplest would be to use
> pdp_live~ if you have a pidip compiled with support for ffmpeg
> ( the debian package does ).
>
> you can also convert them to theora with ffmpeg2theora
> and use pdp_theorin~,
> but both these solutions would be CPU greedy,
> the prefered format for PDP is still quicktime/photo JPEG...
>
> for your pdp_xv not working,
> what does 'xvinfo' says ?
> if the number of ports is >0,
> i don't have any rational explanation..
>
> suerte,
> sevy
>

> John Harrison wrote:
>
>> ubuntu Breezy:
>>
>> just compiled gem2pdp from the source. Compilation was fine and the
>> externals seem to load OK. Pd command window reports gem2pdp 0.6
>> produce the expected results. It appears that the gem2pdp object's
>> outlet does not contain data or something. I just get a black screen
>> in the PDP window. No errors are reported in the Pd command window or
>> the Linux command line. If it makes a difference, I had to switch
>> video output on PDP from pdp_xv to pdp_glx. I can see CPU usage
>> shooting up in the patch when I am rendering in Gem, so something is
>> supposed to be happening. Since I can get pdp_noise to output to a
>> pdp window, I know the basic PDP output mechanism is working.
>>
>> Part of why this is such an issue for me is just trying to get video
>> files to play. I can't seem to find a way to convert my videos into a
>> format that pdp or pidip likes. Gem plays 'em fine. If anybody has
>> tips for me on this (good utilities etc.), I'd appreciate it.
>>
>> Experimentation has been with the included help-gem2pdp.pd patch in
>> the reference section of the documentation.
>>
>> BTW I am also confused about why pdp_XV doesn't work. xvideo output
>> works fine in other programs, such as vlc. xvinfo reports nothing
>> unusual. pdp_xv reports that it can't create the window.
>>
>> I had to compile from the source because the gem2pdp/pdp2gem binaries
>> in the Breezy repo crash Pd.
>>
>> Pd 0.38.4
>> Gem from latest CVSs compiled with -disable-ARB
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> -John

John Harrison
Associate Professor of Violin
Director: CRATEL
  (Center for Research in Arts, Technology, Education and Learning)
Wichita State University
Wichita, KS 67260-0053
USA

http://JohnHarrisonViolin.com