[PD] Re: Pd-0.38.4-extended-RC7 & cyclone

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Jan 22 17:58:36 CET 2006

On Jan 22, 2006, at 5:44 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> It sounds like cyclone is being statically linked with pd.dll.
>
> Cyclone single-externals are huge on Linux as well, e.g.:
>
> $ ll prepend.pd_linux hammer.pd_linux
> -rwxrwxr-x  1 root root 351265 Aug 27 14:33 hammer.pd_linux
> -rwxrwxr-x  1 root root 140672 Aug 27 14:33 prepend.pd_linux

hammer.pd_linux is actually a multi-file lib.

Mac OS X also has bigger file sizes, but not as extreme, and they
benefit from a strip:

hans at sla:cyclone > ls -l prepend.pd_darwin
-rwxr-xr-x    1 hans     admin       41516 Jan 17 12:02
prepend.pd_darwin*
hans at sla:cyclone > strip -x prepend.pd_darwin
hans at sla:cyclone > ls -l prepend.pd_darwin
-rwxr-xr-x    1 hans     admin       23752 Jan 22 11:34
prepend.pd_darwin*

Running "strip -x" on everything in "extra" on the Mac OS X app reduced
the "extra" folder from 43MB to 31MB.

Running "strip --strip-unneeded -R .note -R .comment" on Windows
reduced "extra" from 147MB to 24MB, but it broke loading Gem.dll,
xsample.dll, and maybe other stuff.  pmpd.dll still worked tho.

I also stripped "libPdTcl.dylib" aka "pdtcl.dll", and it cut it in
half. I stripped  bin/pd and it went from 2222632 bytes to 745032
bytes.  Everything seems to work fine still.

Any downsides to the post-install strip?  Its a kludge, yes, but its
easy.

____

"Looking at things from a more basic level, you can come up with a more
direct solution... It may sound small in theory, but it in practice, it
can change entire economies."
                                                     - Amy Smith