[PD] compiling external examples in VS.net

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Wed Jan 25 18:58:56 CET 2006

On Jan 25, 2006, at 10:46 AM, chris clepper wrote:

> On 1/25/06, G Quested <garryq at comp.leeds.ac.uk> wrote:
>> Do i need to recompile pd for .net? I found articles in the archive
>> where making your dll's with VS5 when Pd was compiled with VS6 was a
>> problem.
>
> I tried once to build Pd using VS 2003 and all of the makefiles looked
> hardcoded to VS98, which made it more trouble than I was wanting at
> the time.  I seem to recall people putting effort into using minGW to
> build Pd and externals, so maybe that is an option?

Basically everything compiles with MinGW (PDP and PiDiP should be
possible too without a ton of work).  To get everything compiling with
MSVC it will take a lot of work because the compiler works differently
that gcc, which is used on GNU/Linux, Mac OS X, and MinGW.  From my
experience with MSVC 6, you can get about half of the externals to
compile.

The MinGW setup is relatively easy to do:

http://puredata.org/docs/developer/mingw

It would be quite interesting to see a speed comparison from Pd
compiled with MinGW/gcc and MSVC.  I wonder what the different is...

____

"Computer science is no more related to the computer than astronomy is
related to the telescope."
                                                           -Edsger
Dykstra