[PD] Pd compiling

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Jan 30 16:27:45 CET 2006

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006, Marc Lavallée wrote:

> Mathieu Bouchard a écrit :
> > Pd is not a Tcl/Tk application. Let's say "half" of Pd is a Tcl/Tk
> > application, but how big that half is, is debatable (given that there is
> > code in one half that is sent and executed in the other half at runtime...
> > and other funny things like that)
> The "starkit" includes a vfs (virtual file system), so maybe that all
> necessary files (binaries, patches, images, etc) could be included as well in
> one executable file.

Doesn't it do that at the Tcl level and not at the C level? All the
"interesting" stuff in Pd happens in the C side. If you start Pd with the
"-nogui" option you don't use Tcl at all. That should give you an idea of
the kind of dependency that Pd has on Tcl. Because it doesn't depend much
on Tcl, you can't hook into much of Pd just by hooking into Tcl.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Btw it _is_ possible to do the vfs at the C level for binaries that are
not completely static, but that involves some LD_PRELOAD voodoo and most
people don't do it. (The only instances I know of it is by debugging tools
such as Valgrind and other malloc debuggers, as well as STrace)