[PD] pd-extended on mac os x - magic words

Mark Polishook polishook at optonline.net
Tue Jan 31 07:09:28 CET 2006

manrico + nillow -

well, as an absolute pd beginner -

i haven't had success with RC7 and pdp and pidip, even when
specifying those libraries as startup items. too many things were
crashing pd or not working or both. i then tried, alternatively, to
compile the dev. ver of RC7. no success there.

so with this rocky start, i'm not sure i'm one to be offering
advice ... having said that ....

i've since downloaded pd from miller puckette's site, compiled it as
per instructions in the html manual. i installed gem as per
instructions in the html manual for adding binary libraries. this
meant putting

Gem.pd_darwin

in an 'extra' directory in the pd-0.39.3 directory and then
specifying Gem as a startup item in the Preferences dialogue.

next step, for tomorrow, is to install pdp and pidip libraries, which
i assume is done in the same way (put binary libraries into the
'extra' directory, etc. and specify their presence in the Preferences
dialogue).

meanwhile, patrick pagano suggested (thank you patrick) to use fink
and fink commander to get additional code, as needed, that pdp and
pidip depend on. what this additional code is, well, i'll soon find
out, presumably from readme files and error messages.

.... documentation and help files and abstractions need to be
installed so pd sees them ....

hope this helps!

mp