[PD] dvb-s card and Gem separator pb

august august at develop.ment.org
Tue Jan 31 16:25:45 CET 2006

vincent rioux say:
> hi Ben,
>
> B. Bogart wrote:
>
> >Hey Vincent,
> >
> >does the dvds card give you a V4L2 interface or some other thing that is
> >independant?
>
> well, as far as i understood latest drivers from linuxtv are designed to
> merge v4l and dvb interfaces.
> i found that kaffeine will look for dvb device in sth like
> /video/dvb/... (i don't have the computer in front of me right now so i
> am pretty sure the path is a bit wrong). btw, using kaffeine is nice
> because it can scan automatically satellite channels...
>
> xawtv seems to recognize the dvb device just like anyother v4l device.
> even Gem e.g. seems to recognize the dvb device.
> but in both cases (xawtv and Gem) i can't get any image...

hey.  I wrote  a little DVB reader and channel switcher this summer.
As far as I know, once you have the drivers up and running, you will
have some devices created under /dev/dvb/adapter0

If you have a decent card with hardware MPEG2 decoding, you will have an
extra device there.  If you have an el cheapo card like I do, without
hardware decoding, you just get the mpeg2 stream under
	/dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0

The first device I mentioned that is the decodec MPEG2 stream should be
able to be opened like a v4l device (not sure about this though).  The
second device I mentioned, /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0, should be able to be
opened as a regular mpeg2 file.  Either way, you should be able to get
it somehow into GEM or PDP.

The difficult part will probably be to get your channels list and to
switch channels without loosing sync.

If you want some half-assed C++ code, let me know.

best -august.

PS:  I also found this link helpful: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB