[PD] Re: [PD-announce] A new version of FFTease is now available for Pd

Eric Lyon audiodidact at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 14:58:08 CET 2006

> What are the rules about distributing this?

There are no rules :) You can do whatever you like with it.

> BTW, where's the source code of that release of FFT? I don't see the
> source available on the author's page. (I am blind, right?)

The main reason I did not post the source is because it is not yet unified
or easy to compile, and I wanted to make the externals available before
however many months it might take for me to get the code in shape. However
you are welcome to get the code over here (but you have to figure out how to
compile it):

http://eamusic.dartmouth.edu/~eric/MAX/FFTease/code.html

> link error 0  dyld: pd multiple definitions of symbol _bitrv2
> /usr/local/lib/pd/morphine~.pd_darwin definition of _bitrv2
> /usr/local/lib/pd/pvwarp~.pd_darwin definition of _bitrv2

I encountered that problem a long time ago; the externals make calls to
another library and earlier versions of Pd had a problem with this.
I cannot however reproduce this problem on my current versions of Pd
(0.38-3 and 0.38.4-extended-RC6). If more people encounter this conflict
please let me know.

> >> But it would be quite
> >> nice to
> >> be able to distribute FFTease built-in to Pd-extended.

I'm happy for you to do so, but only if you are comfortable with the
way the software has been released.

> the homepage states (in red!): "FFTease may be used freely for any
> artistic or research purpose."
> which i consider to be _not_ compatible with the GPL.

I think this is probably correct; as I understand it, the GPL places some
restrictions on what you can do with the code. I think we are a bit
more permissive, but if there is some way that you find our "licencette"
more restrictive, I'm willing to consider relaxing it.

Eric