[PD] Re: [PD-announce] A new version of FFTease is now available for Pd

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Thu Feb 2 00:39:40 CET 2006

On Feb 1, 2006, at 8:58 AM, Eric Lyon wrote:

>> What are the rules about distributing this?
>>

> There are no rules :) You can do whatever you like with it.
>

>> BTW, where's the source code of that release of FFT? I don't see the
>> source available on the author's page. (I am blind, right?)
>>

> The main reason I did not post the source is because it is not yet
> unified
> or easy to compile, and I wanted to make the externals available before
> however many months it might take for me to get the code in shape.
> However
> you are welcome to get the code over here (but you have to figure out
> how to
> compile it):
>
> http://eamusic.dartmouth.edu/~eric/MAX/FFTease/code.html
>
>> link error 0  dyld: pd multiple definitions of symbol _bitrv2
>> /usr/local/lib/pd/morphine~.pd_darwin definition of _bitrv2
>> /usr/local/lib/pd/pvwarp~.pd_darwin definition of _bitrv2
>>

> I encountered that problem a long time ago; the externals make calls to
> another library and earlier versions of Pd had a problem with this.
> I cannot however reproduce this problem on my current versions of Pd
> (0.38-3 and 0.38.4-extended-RC6). If more people encounter this
> conflict
> please let me know.

> I'm happy for you to do so, but only if you are comfortable with the
> way the software has been released.
>

>> the homepage states (in red!): "FFTease may be used freely for any
>> artistic or research purpose."
>> which i consider to be _not_ compatible with the GPL.
>>

> I think this is probably correct; as I understand it, the GPL places
> some
> restrictions on what you can do with the code. I think we are a bit
> more permissive, but if there is some way that you find our
> "licencette"
> more restrictive, I'm willing to consider relaxing it.

The only restriction the GPL places on the code is that if you
distribute GPL'ed software, you also have to distribute the source.
That's the only restriction.  The license is infectious, so if you
build something that uses some GPL'ed code, you have to release your
code using the GPL too.

But in the case of FFTease, you could release it under a MIT or BSD
license, both of which let anyone do anything with it with minor
restrictions:  both require that the copyright notice is always
distributed with any software that uses the code, and the BSD license
requires that you get written permission before using the name of the
software/copyright owner.  Both of these are completely compatible with
the GPL.  You could also put it in the public domain, then anyone could
do anything with it, regardless.

It order for FFTease to be included in Pd-extended, it would have to
use a GPL-compatible license.

____

this we should do freely and generously.
                                                   - Benjamin Franklin