[PD] Re: [PD-announce] A new version of FFTease is now available for Pd

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Thu Feb 2 12:37:27 CET 2006

On Wed, 1 Feb 2006, Eric Lyon wrote:

> > What are the rules about distributing this?
> There are no rules :) You can do whatever you like with it.

Copyright law defaults to "all rights reserved", which means "no
redistribution allowed". Everything must be explicit.

> > link error 0  dyld: pd multiple definitions of symbol _bitrv2
> > /usr/local/lib/pd/morphine~.pd_darwin definition of _bitrv2
> > /usr/local/lib/pd/pvwarp~.pd_darwin definition of _bitrv2
> I encountered that problem a long time ago; the externals make calls to
> another library and earlier versions of Pd had a problem with this.

Maybe it can be fixed by making libfftease a *.dylib file. Or
maybe you can tweak something with "two-level namespaces". I don't
know/recall much OSX, it's just two things i might try if I had to
use it on OSX.

> I think this is probably correct; as I understand it, the GPL places
> some restrictions on what you can do with the code.

Yes, the main restriction being that you can't put any more restrictions
on distribution of the software than the GPL says there should be. The
GPL's other restrictions are, in comparison, administrative details.

Not granting rights to the general public (e.g. such as only mentioning
artistic and research and nothing else) amounts to putting a lot of
restriction.