[PD] dealing with arguments and inlets

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Feb 5 22:33:57 CET 2006

On Feb 5, 2006, at 12:40 PM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
>
>> Ok, I'm convinced on that point, [list_argument] should use list.  I
>> support backwards compatibility only if it doesn't affect forward
>> compatibility.  My concern is that since [list] is new an untested,
>
> Objection, judge! ;) It isn't untested: At least in my patches I use
> it all the time since it first appeared in Pd. It never crashed Pd, it
> always does, what it is supposed to do and I use it a lot more often
> than I use for example [symbol]. Plus: the [list]-abs collection could
> be seen as a comprehensive test-suite just for [list], which is
> something, many other objects don't have yet.

[list] is untested as compared to [route].  By untested, I don't mean
bugs, but rather whether as a paradigm it makes sense in all possible
ways.  There are already a lot of odd things with Pd's message
handling, it'd would be bad to introduce more.

>> But I still think that [any_argument] that outputs a non-symbol is
>> useful too.
>
> But that's easy to achieve using [list trim], if needed. Of course one
> could make another abstraction which includes this, like
> [any|list_argument_trimmed] but I really don't see this as a necessity.

Ok, ok, I'll use [list] ;).

But that makes me think, (non-sequeteur warning) what type of data does
this output:

[symbol arg!(

[list trim]

;)

____

"I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three
and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits."
                                             - Martin Luther King, Jr.