[PD] Re: definitions of data types

Stefan Turner stefanlturner at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 6 23:17:24 CET 2006

Hi

This is probably a pointless question as I guess by
now it's far too difficult to change, and would
definitely break a lot of patches...but wouldn't this
all be easier if there weren't selectors?

I.e. every element would be either a bang, a float, a
pointer, or if it cannot be any of those, a symbol.
Every message has a length of at least one, and if the
length is two or greater, it is a list. E.g. [one 2
three< is a three-element list, where 'one' and
'three' are symbols, as they can't be anything else,
and 2 is a float. [set table< is a two-symbol list.
Obviously 'float', 'symbol', 'list' lose their special
meanings and would all just be interpreted as symbols.

Stefan