[PD] Snd as a pd external documentation.

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Feb 10 06:14:49 CET 2006

On Feb 9, 2006, at 4:26 PM, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:

> Okey. But I'm not sure its a good idea. Snd objects are not
> deterministic. If you try to write an object in a different way
> (external/subpatch/pyext/etc.) that is supposed to to the same, it
> will
> 99% for sure behave slightly different.
>
> The reason is that data-handling in the snd external are threaded and
> is run asynchronus to pd, and that all the dsp-handling is performed
> at once (once per cycle) for all snd objects, because of performance
> reasons. (dsp using the snd external is extremely efficient)
>
> I'm afraid hiding these facts from the user can create confusing
> situations...

yes indeed, I had no idea it was structured like that.

> Regarding the system path settings, aren't they available somewhere
> anyway?

> And whats a "newly developing namespace"?

The first steps towards implementing a namespace (like java's import
java.swing.*, for example) are in place.  You can use objects of the
same name with a namespace prefix, like [cyclone/prepend],
[iemlib/prepend], [ggee/prepend], etc.  Then you could [import
cyclone], and [prepend] would then be cyclone's prepend.  The next step
is to make patch-level namespace, currently there is only a global
namespace.

.hc

> On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>

>> This would allow you to write bonafide Pd objects in snd.  What
>> language they are written in would be transparent to the user.  They
>> would behave just like objects.  They could be bundled into
>> libraries, they would work with the system path settings, they would
>> work in the newly developing namespace, they could have their own
>> help patches, etc. etc.
>>
>> .hc
>>
>> On Feb 9, 2006, at 12:10 AM, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:
>>
>>> Hmm, I don't see the point. Having those extra four letters ("snd ")
>>> shows that it is an snd object, and not an external or a patch.
>>> Whats the point of hiding that information?

>> ______
>>
>> If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem.
>>                                                              -
>> Eldridge Cleaver

____

"Computer science is no more related to the computer than astronomy is
related to the telescope."
                                                           -Edsger
Dykstra