[PD] Sorry to ask, Medieval QUestion

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Thu Feb 16 02:37:44 CET 2006

Renato Fabbri wrote:
> Leaving monney aside, are there any advantages in PD
> in contrast with Max/MSP?

It runs on many different kinds of hardware...IPaq, XBox, Ipod,
IRIX/SGI, older PCs & Macs, embedded processors (someday?)...

It runs on older hardware under Linux which would just get bogged down
by the latest bloated OSX/XP/etc operating systems.

It is open and free, meaning you don't have to make silly "stand alones"
to share your work with others. (Although I will admit that the ability
to make VST/AU/etc plugins would be a great benefit... see several
earlier threads on this topic.)

> I´ve heard that PD runs slower than max on the same
> MAC. I guess it is true depending what you are doing
> (intuitively).

There's big problems with the GUI under OSX, it's true. I can't run any
of my PD Linux performance patches under OSX on the same Powerbook
without totally losing control of the mouse, keyboard etc.

> btw, in PCs, does PD run way better on linuks?

Incredible difference, due to the fact that most of the PD development
is done on Linux, and the fact that Linux is (usually) much more
stripped down and "clean" than OSX or windows, which allows a lot more
resources for PD to use.

> Please be nice and don´t get angry.

Have a nice day in the garden.
d.