[PD] Sorry to ask, Medieval QUestion

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Thu Feb 16 16:52:02 CET 2006

Hey,

I "heard" that Gem runs much better that jitter on the same hardware, so
who knows...

Yes the OSX gui is a little slow, just due to a fairly bad port
originally, that has been created improved by Jamie Tittle from this list.

My fav advantage to PD over Max is the scriptable nature, being able to
start it as a -nogui process (no patch is visible but the patch runs in
memory). Pd plays better with other software, when you use MAX, you tend
to use max and not other stuff withit at the same time. (from what I see
anyhow)

I think max still crashes often, and short of a few notable exceptions
in the max world many PD patches run for years in installations, and
some without rebooting. I think my biggest uptime was something like 200
days without a reboot or crash.

I used to use MAx/Nato_055 and softVNS, but now I just use PD... But
then I prefer the aesthetic of Gem to that if softVNS/Nato and there was
no jitter at the time, and I'm glad to have never been interested in it. ;)

.b.