[PD] Distro Doubt

Marc Lavallée marc at hacklava.net
Fri Feb 17 01:04:01 CET 2006

Le 16 Février 2006 17:04, derek holzer a écrit :
> My suggestion would be to use Ubuntu to get a basic installation, and
> add the DeMuDi packages on top of that. Ubuntu should streamline the
> hardware detection & configuration process quite nicely. The DeMuDi
> packages could be part of Debian (Unstable/Testing?) already, so it's
> just a matter of updating the sources you download from.

Demudi is using some Ubuntu packages. But I'm not sure Demudi is still
maintained, and many of its packages are now available in Debian (and/or
Ubuntu). As a rule of thumb, it's better not to mix Ubuntu and Debian
packages; Ubuntu doesn't care about compatibility with Debian, because
Ubuntu have a different agenda than Debian
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarkShuttleworth). So when there's a good package
from Ubuntu, it's better to recompile it for Debian (and vice-versa).

> Dynebolic is OK as a live CD, but pretty much impossible to reconfigure,
> so I'd skip it for a permanent installation unless you need something
> working RIGHT NOW ;-)

I created my own livecd using Kanotix (which is a derivative of Knoppix) and
packages from Debian unstable. I can't distribute it "as is" because it
contains lots of non-free packages for multimedia support. But I like it
better than Dynebolic because it can be installed on a hard drive and used
as a good starting point for a complete system. Dynebolic is a carefully
crafted livecd with everything compiled from scratch,  so basically it's a
work of art and it can't be easily extended like Debian.
--
Marc