[PD] Distro Doubt

david golightly davigoli at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 01:31:04 CET 2006

This conversation comes up again and again (I've been the culprit a couple
of times myself), and everyone has a different opinion.  I personally think
it's a tragedy that CCRMA decided to base their Planet CCRMA distro on
RedHat, which many agree is an unwieldy distro ill-suited to real-time audio
work.  Debian based distros like Ubuntu, DeMuDi and dynebolic are much
leaner & meaner.   However, I can confirm that it looks like DeMuDi (as of
relatively recently) is no longer maintained, so I agree that you're best
off running a "pure" Ubuntu system, albeit with some modifications...

Ubuntu is great because everything mostly works "out of the box."  You can
get things done right away while you're learning to use it.  But as you've
probably already learned, most Linux distros are not very audio-friendly,
for several reasons.  Linux can be a very effective OS for audio, but first
you have to get your hands dirty, and if you're new to Linux this can be a
bit intimidating.  Lots of info you find by googling around is old &
obsolete.  What I wish I had when I first started:

http://ubuntustudio.com
-This will tell you all you need to know about setting up your ubuntu box
for audio use.  Follow these instructions, and your life will be much saner.

linux-audio-users mailing list:
-These people can help with all your questions relating to getting
your system set up, if you run into difficulty

Hopefully, this message will be one for the archives...

Good luck!

David