[PD] Live Looping and Sampling

Claude Heiland-Allen claudiusmaximus at goto10.org
Fri Feb 17 20:07:01 CET 2006

Martin Dupras wrote:
> I'm trying to build a patch to sample and loop live input. Basically I
> want to be able to punch into the loop and out and record continuously.
>
> I tried  writing to a table using [start $1], which does record, but the
> problem is that it stops recording when it reaches the end of the table.
> Also I can only get the position using snapshot~, which is not very
> accurate, timing wise.
>
> Can anyone suggest a workable approach? Or even better, point to an
> example patch?

The below works by having 100% feedback in a delay loop - it doesn't
"blow up" because the input is only active when the feedback is turned
off, and vice versa.  It could be improved to make it "click free" at
the punch points, but I'll leave that as an exercise to the reader ;)

I have a working patch, but not on this computer... so ASCII art will
have to do (you use a fixed width font...)

Hit the toggle to punch recording on, hit toggle off to stop recording.

[tgl]

[s $0-record]

audio in

  | [r $0-record]
  |  |
[*~ 0]

  |[r~ $0-looped]
  |/
[delwrite~ $0-loop 4000]       <-- maximum loop length 4s

[delread~ $0-loop 4000]        <-- use a 4s loop length
  |\
  | \    [r $0-record]
  |  \    |
  |   \  [== 0]