[Pd] Other synthesis methods

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 20:30:18 CET 2006

Hi.
My Pure Data Just Intonation sequencing program is up and running, and I'm
in the process of making music with it for a dance/music ensemble at my
school.  The problem is everyone says it sounds like Mario.  I tried making
a granulator, and it sounded good but used so much CPU I couldn't
incorporate it into my sequencer.
What I do have is 16 harmonics, filtered noise, a bp/lp/hp selector with
cutoff and Q control, and adsr sliders.  I have 8 copies of this, each of
which only runs when it is changed, and writes its results to a graph, which
the sequencer reads.  Thus it is also possible to draw the waveform with the
mouse, which I've found can make it a little less predictable.  But too much
of that makes it inharmonic, and even so it still sounds very 80's.  I'd
like the freedom to work in more sophisticated synthesis.
What can I do?

Thanks.
-Chuckk

--
"It is not when truth is dirty, but when it is shallow, that the lover of
knowledge is reluctant to step into its waters."