[PD] Re: py/pyext (offlist)

david golightly davigoli at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 04:56:03 CET 2006

Hi Thomas,

Here's what PD says when I start it with the -verbose flag and open a pyext
example patch:

tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\doc\\examples\\py\\examples\\pyext.dll and
failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\patches\\pyext.dll and failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\patches\\library\\pyext.dll and failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\patches\\granules\\pyext.dll and failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\patches\\bp-beats\\pyext.dll and failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\patches\\analog-synth\\pyext.dll and failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\patches\\looper\\pyext.dll and failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\doc\\examples\\py\\scripts\\pyext.dll and
failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\extra\\pyext.dll and failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\doc\\examples\\py\\examples\\pyext\\pyext.dll
and failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\patches\\pyext\\pyext.dll and failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\patches\\library\\pyext\\pyext.dll and failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\patches\\granules\\pyext\\pyext.dll and failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\patches\\bp-beats\\pyext\\pyext.dll and failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\patches\\analog-synth\\pyext\\pyext.dll and
failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\patches\\looper\\pyext\\pyext.dll and failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\doc\\examples\\py\\scripts\\pyext\\pyext.dll
and failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\extra\\pyext\\pyext.dll and failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\doc\\examples\\py\\examples\\pyext.pd and
failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\patches\\pyext.pd and failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\patches\\library\\pyext.pd and failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\patches\\granules\\pyext.pd and failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\patches\\bp-beats\\pyext.pd and failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\patches\\analog-synth\\pyext.pd and failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\patches\\looper\\pyext.pd and failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\doc\\examples\\py\\scripts\\pyext.pd and failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\extra\\pyext.pd and failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\doc\\examples\\py\\examples\\pyext.pat and
failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\patches\\pyext.pat and failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\patches\\library\\pyext.pat and failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\patches\\granules\\pyext.pat and failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\patches\\bp-beats\\pyext.pat and failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\patches\\analog-synth\\pyext.pat and failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\patches\\looper\\pyext.pat and failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\doc\\examples\\py\\scripts\\pyext.pat and
failed
tried C:\\Program Files\\pd\\extra\\pyext.pat and failed
 pyext simple ex3
... couldn't create

By "couldn't create", it means the [pyext] object fails to start, and has a
dashed border around it - pd doesn't recognize the name.

A search of my directory tree couldn't find any files called pyext.*, so not
only are they not in the correct path, they don't exist at all on my
machine.  However, there is a py.dll binary in pd/extra/, and pd sees it
just fine.  Could it be that pyext.dll failed to compile from the CVS
sources?

As far as "doesn't work correctly," when I use an example patch with [py],
changing the input to the [py] object doesn't have any effect on the
output.  Quite simply, it does nothing - it doesn't work.

Thanks again for all your help!

David

ps Yes, I'm trying to get this set up on my WinXP partition - I've had too
many Linux headaches for the past couple of weeks and am taking a break
before plunging back in...