OSX slow GUI [WAS: Re: [PD] Metro unstable osx]

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon Feb 20 02:40:07 CET 2006

On Feb 17, 2006, at 12:28 PM, chris clepper wrote:

> On 2/17/06, derek holzer <derek at x-i.net> wrote:
>> Hi HC,
>
>> It
>> actually can slow down or jam up my entire OSX desktop as well, which
>> is
>> an even bigger bummer. Sometimes this effect lasts even after quitting
>> PD, requiring a restart.
>
> This is most likely due to the elevated pthread priority hack Pd uses
> on OSX.  Setting the -nrt flag should bypass that, but it should
> probably be removed altogether.

I don't recall exactly why it was introduced.  I thought it was to
reduce clicking when the GUI was being used during audio playback.  If
there aren't any advantages, it sounds like it should be removed.

.hc

> The effect lasting after Pd sounds like the Pd process is not killed
> after the Wish GUI quits.  There is nothing Pd can do while it's not
> running to affect the OS.

____

"I have the audacity to believe that peoples everywhere can have three
and dignity, equality and freedom for their spirits."
                                             - Martin Luther King, Jr.