[PD] Re: osx problems with xsample

Thomas Grill gr at grrrr.org
Mon Feb 20 13:12:18 CET 2006

Hi Enrike,
please, for PD-related questions, always write to the list.
Some questions appear again and again and others should be able to look
them up in the archives.

> I am testing on mac a patch that uses xsample and py. This sample was
> working fine in the computer i was using previously but now it does
> crash PD. I try to describe the situation to see if you have any idea
> of the problem.
>
> Creating xplay~ or xgroove~ is ok but then if i move click on the
> xplay or xgroove or any pd subpatch, crashes pure data after a couple
> of secs being frozen. Note that clicking or modifying pd objects like
> + or atoms doesnt cause the crash.
>
> If I run PD from terminal i get this when crashes
> Pd : signal 4
> closing audio ...
> closing MIDI ...
> ... done.
> pd_gui: pd process exited
>
> however i did some other tests and i found out that:
> The xsample examples work ok, even if i try to move pd subpatches etc..
> Creating an empty canvas and creating there xsample, xgroove or xplay
> is ok

What is the difference between what you describe in the last sentence
and the situation above?

> do you have any ideas why this is happening? i talked to Hans and he
> pointed into the externals. I tested this in different versions of PD,
> basically in the extended versions with same results. Initially i was
> using exactly the same version i was using in previous computer, i
> think it was 0.39.4-extended-RC7, now i am on RC4. Millers ditro does
> not crash but i get a very strange error, it doesnt load xsample, so i
> foused on my tests on 0.39.4-extended-RC8

When you say, Miller's distro doesn't load xsample, which error message
(with -verbose) do you get?
Above all, which xsample version are you running?

best greetings,
Thomas