[PD] Linear Taper to Log Taper? or Something?

Ryan Supak ryansupak at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 04:44:46 CET 2006

Hi PeeDee list,

I use PD as a MIDI "translator" into the popular Ableton Live.  I'm trying
to make it to where a single knob controls wet/dry mix for a given track.  I
was hoping it would be a fairly trivial matter of making a single CC input
into two with PD, and assigning each of the two CCs to a knob (one
inverted), and being done with it.

However, the problem is that Ableton's knobs use "audio taper", such that
the change in decibels per cc amount is much larger at the bottom than at
the top.  The result of this -- is that at "50 wet/50 dry", the sound is
attenuated quite a lot.  Really, though, the sound amplitude should not
change across the wet/dry span.

I'm guessing one solution is to alter the 0-127 range of the CC controls
within PD -- maybe map them along a different curve.

Thanks for any thoughts!
rs