[PD] 1000% distortion in pd in linux

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Feb 27 01:04:25 CET 2006

On Sat, 25 Feb 2006, hard off wrote:

> btw...ubuntu breezy, tascam us-122 soundcard, running pd with alsa

in the top right panel, there's a speaker icon. right click on it and
select "Open Volume Control". The volume of your soundcard most likely
"goes up to 11" just like in Spinal Tap. Try setting it at about 85% and
maybe it'll be like what is called 100% on some other cards. I've had a
similar problem with my laptop. there might be several volume controls
chained together. you may have to reduce several of them. e.g. on my
laptop i had Master + PCM + the analog wheel next to the earphone jack.

or is it different using your other programs?... do those using the
OSS interface behave differently from those using the ALSA interface?