[PD] RE: OT dual booting OSX/unbuntu

altern altern2 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 18:39:05 CET 2006

> I am planning on doing this myself. However, not with unbuntu.
>
> From what i understand, while it is Unbuntu makes it easy to install, there is a trade-off that you toil with later. For instance,  Unbuntu has *big problems* with audio programs (programs which are beyond simple file players).
> This is NOT the case with Debian-- which once up an running, is pretty smooth when it comes to sound apps.  Not to mention Debian has a really, really easy way of updating and installing apps.

It is funny because one would think that Ubuntu is just a reworked
debian, i mean they are almost the same in many senses.

However I have debian and ubuntu on the same machine and I find ubuntu
slower. I guess it all comes to too many processes running or maybe the
kernel used by Ubuntu being less efficient.

It would be nice if anyone could comment on this, I am myself in the
search for a nice combination to be able to introduce musicians to
gnu/linux. I thought that Ubuntu + some tune could be nice but i am not
sure about it.

This could be useful to look at
http://ubuntustudio.com/wiki/index.php/Welcome%2C_Musicians%21

However have you considered using http://www.demudi.org/ ?
A friend has it and he said it is really easy to install. And I guess it
has to work much better with audio than just a plain ubuntu.

There is also http://dynebolic.org/ and http://goto10.org/-/puredyne.html
and recently i saw Musix which is based on knoppix
http://www.knoppix.net/wiki/Knoppix_Customisations#Musix_GNU.2BLinux.C2.A0.28http:.2F.2Fwww.musix.org.ar.2F.29
but i dont know how good they are at all.

You have to consider that Debian on ppc is a bit more difficult than in
386 machines. Ubuntu is probably easier to setup.  Having said that i
have to add that my old laptop runs osx/Kubuntu because i did not want
to install debian myself on the laptop as i had bad experiences with ppc
machines previously. But ubuntu doesnt recognise my internal sound card
very well. Note that external firewire soundcards dont work yet under
gnu/linux (as far as i know).

good luck.