[PD] pd~conf 2.0

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sat Mar 25 05:46:57 CET 2006

On Mar 24, 2006, at 10:24 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:
>> Another approach is to have who ever is planning the next pd~conf
>> take
>> control of the donations under the guise of whatever organization
>> that
>> they are working for.  I know Alexandre has talked about hosting
>> pd~conf
>> at artengine in Ottawa, CA.
>
> I don't think he was serious about that =) Ottawa, ON is too
> "small" for
> such a thing, and I'm including Gatineau, QC, across the bridge. I
> mean
> "small" as in not enough Pd users. Ottawa and Gatineau together
> might be
> one million people, but if you try to find Pd users, you only find
> them at
> Ottawa U or Artengine.

Graz is 350,000, and it worked there.  I don't think that would be
such an issue.  Plus there are a lot of people who live near enough
Ottawa.

> I have strong doubts about being able to do it in Montréal, QC, even
> though there are several organisms that are involved in Pd stuff
> currently
> (Vidéographe, SAT, StudioXX).
>
> I think Montréal is still not ready for such an event, if it has to
> be a
> reasonable sequel to PdConvention04.

Why not.

> Right now I'd like to hear _why_ another Pd Convention should happen.
> Well, I mean, apart from being _damn_ _fun_...

To me, that's not really a question that needs to be asked, but I'll
answer it.  So much can get accomplished in 10 minutes of face-to-
face discussion that would take days on the list.  Plus its great
because we can all set aside a time to just listen to what everyone
is doing with Pd an focus on that.

Pd~conf 1.0 was drinking from the fire hose in an amazing way.  In
our daily lives, we tend to be stuck in narrow circles, which a
narrow range of ideas that we come across.  Pd~conf 1 covered such a
broad range, it took me in many directions I would never have gone
had I not attended.

____

"Information wants to be free."
                                      -Stewart Brand