[PD] tabread / write broken on 64bit AMD Linux

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Mar 25 08:28:13 CET 2006

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 zmoelnig at iem.at wrote:

> however, nobody has found time yet to fix it (the fix is not trivial).
> if you don't want to fix it yourself but need this feature, i see only 2
> possibilities: a) make a amd64 available to mr.puckette (lend him one,
> buy him one,...) b) fund some developer who already has an amd64 but
> never had the time to fix the tables.

Well, I was going to do it, but we figured out that 64-bit wasn't worth
the trouble yet. It's not that much worth it until standard PCs ship with
well over 4G RAM. Apparently there are other advantages to the 64-bit
mode, but I've not witnessed any difference with the programs that I use.
And then many programs' RAM usage might nearly double, especially programs
that use lots of pointers.

If someone hires me to do it, I'll do it.