[PD] Analog/good-sounding oscillators in PD

cyborgk at nocturnalnoize.com cyborgk at nocturnalnoize.com
Thu Apr 6 20:18:02 CEST 2006

Hello everyone,

I'm working on a set of abstractions that will allow users to easily
sequence rhythmic-pattern style music; basically, to make it easy to
create IDM/electro/minimal-techno style stuff. Anyway, there's one major
weakness to the whole project: PD oscillators don't sound good! Also, the
filters I've tried don't sound very analog at all.

So, my question is:

1. Does anyone have any good, "analog-sounding" oscillators already
created? I guess I only need saw, PWM square, and triangle, but they need
to sound GOOD (like Reaktor, basically). I see how to do simple versions
from the example patches, but I don't know enough DSP to get rid of the
digital sound. For a great example of the kind of sound I want, check out:
Asynth vst from antti at smartelectronix.
http://antti.smartelectronix.com/

2. What would be the most analog sounding filter to use?

3. Is wavetable synthesis a reasonable option? How do I create a custom
table to use for such synthesis? For example, if I synthesize a wave of
one period in another program, how long should it be? I know this should
be easy, but my brain is broken on this question. My gut instinct is that
a wavetable would only sound good near original frequency or you just get
the typical digital artifacts from pitch-shifting a sample... is that
correct? I'm guessing what I'm really talking about is ROMpler style
multi-sampling,  and selecting the wave closest to input frequency. Don't
know if anyone built this already.

Btw, I can solve the problem for myself by loading in the VST~ external,
but I want what I build to be cross-platform so that it is most useful to
interested people in the community.