[PD] Analog/good-sounding oscillators in PD

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 23:21:23 CEST 2006

On 4/6/06, Frank Barknecht <fbar at footils.org> wrote:

> Besides foldover, which can be fought, there also is another area of
> getting "good" sounding analogish oscillators: Analog gear tends to
> have certain distortions an irregularites, that people tend to like
> and to associate with that "warm" analog feeling. I guess, Reaktor may
> introduce some of this stuff as well. There is a LADSPA plugin, forgot
> its name, by Steve Harris which has a "warmth" control to introduce
> such distortions, but I think, these are hard to model and would need
> a lot of fiddling. Anyways static waveforms always tend to sound a bit
> digital, so finding ways to make the sounds dynamic often is useful.

I wonder how practical it would be to have several tables, crossfade
between them, and change one while crossfading between the other two
or whatever.  I'm thinking if they're fairly small tables, just a few
periods, then the changes would sound pretty smooth.
If the switch between them is precise, though, maybe crossfading isn't
necessary... Just two tables, and change one while the other is
playing.