[PD] Big distortion ?

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Thu Apr 13 12:01:11 CEST 2006

Hi Oliver,

Olivier Revollat wrote:
 > Hi,
 > I am looking for an abstraction/external (or even a LADSPA plugin loaded
 > in plugin~) to have a big distortion sound in pure data (for an electric
 > guitar).

In PD you could use waveshaping, either by table-lookup or by using
[expr~] if you're one of those mathematician types that haunt this list
;-) For the former, check 3.audio.examples/E05.chebychev.pd  And have a
look at the "Analog/good-sounding oscillators in PD" thread, which
covers similar grounds and purposes.

I used the LADSPA Crossover and Foldover distortions together, but make
sure to put a [hip~ 5] or something else to remove the DC offset after
this, because one of them (I can't remember which!) gives a huge amount
of offset. There are also some Overdrive and Tube Warmth LADSPAs, as
well as the mysterious Barry's Satan Maximizer.

I have to say that all the modeling of guitar-style analog distortion I
have tried using PD or LADSPA didn't sound very satisfying in comparison
to what can be done easier with a $25 guitar pedal. Yes, I got
distortion that could be mistaken for a guitar pedal by a casual
listener, but on close listening it came across different. The warmth
wasn't there and the crunch was very digital-sounding. Sometimes the DC
offset actually turned the foldover/crossover into silence with low bass
sounds. I guess you could say it was be a rather "academic" exercise.
Your results may be different, depending on what you're going for.

good luck,
d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl