[PD] PDDP meeting?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat May 6 20:56:38 CEST 2006

On Sat, 6 May 2006, Arie van Schutterhoef wrote:

> >when everyone ignores it's weaknesses ("you don't want to load soundfiles
> >>clickfree",
> -That's probably why jMax needed at least two cpu's to run 'clickfree'.

jMax's problems were even worse than what you say. The messagesystem
(which we used for video) couldn't run clickfree either, with hiccups
longer than 100 ms! and i'm not sure that they were fixable by adding an
extra CPU. The workaround was to set [metro] to a very small value and
that meant that you couldn't control the framerate and that logical time
became useless and that the GUI couldn't be used anymore, nor netreceive
and comport. I had to make a show with those hiccups going on because i
*had* to use netreceive and comport. That was my last show with jMax.

Alex C had switched to Pd because of those video hiccups and because of my
recommendation, and I wanted to switch just before the show but the
migration would've been too much work.

I think that the hiccups were fixed in jMax4, but we didn't care because
jMax4 had too many new bugs that made it unusable, and please don't get me
started on the 0%-compatible API.