[PD-dev] Re: [PD] ...a more reasonable suggestion

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun May 7 22:57:56 CEST 2006

On Sun, 7 May 2006, Hans-Christoph Steiner wrote:

> We really don't want to get into maintaining a text editor in Pd when there
> are so many good ones maintained by other people.  But yes, a way to work with
> the text files would be handy.  Even better would be to make Pd better so that
> you don't have to edit the text files directly.

Getting a text editor in Pd means writing it ourselves instead of using
one that already exists. It's also not relevant that there exist so many
good editors if they aren't integrated with pd because as long as they
aren't integrated with pd they're not an alternative to writing our own
pd-specific text editor.

Then the question is whether it's easier to embed pd inside an existing
text editor or to embed an existing text editor inside pd. Well, another
question is whether someone really wants to tackle the challenge...