[PD] Re: [PD-ot] project idea: ngspice for pd

Christian Klippel ck at mamalala.de
Mon May 8 04:32:27 CEST 2006

hello,

Am Sonntag, 7. Mai 2006 23:25 schrieb Mathieu Bouchard:

[...snip...]

> For those who'd rather face the analog electronics, this could be a really
> cool project. I'm curious how you'd implement the following in Pd:
>
>       .-[ohm 22]-.------------[ohm 15]-.
>
> A ----|          `-[ohm 33]-.          |---- B
>
>       `-[ohm 47]-'----------'-[ohm 68]-'
>
> such that if a [ohmmeter] gui object is plugged into A and B it will find
> the right voltage. I don't really know how existing algorithms work. Do
> you plan to use existing algorithms or come up with more efficient ones?
> What is the samplerate required at the analog-simulation level in order to
> be able to produce a pitch like [osc~ 11025] in a rather faithful way?
>
> I didn't distinguish inlets and outlets in the above diagram. This is
> because a resistor doesn't distinguish between inlets and outlets. In your
> system, what would be considered an inlet and what would be considered an
> outlet and why?

well, fur sure the pd gui is not useable to draw schematics. thats why i said
that for the first step it would be fine, if such an object just takes the
netlist as an argument, loads it from disk then and runds it.
later it would be a nice addition if it is possible to draw the schematics in
pd as well. that could be done either by modifying the current editor, or by
integrating some other editor into the object that opens up by
double-clicking on the spice object ....

as foe the sample rate, iirc spice is running in "ticks" as well, which can be
defined in their size. after all its also possible to emulate hf circuits and
get a output of a 10 mhz sine wave, for example. so it shouldnt be that big
problem to have it run at audio rate, i think ....

> I copied this to pd-list because I don't see anything off-topic in the
> idea...

alright ;)

greets,

chris