[PD] PDDP meeting?

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon May 8 15:21:48 CEST 2006

On May 7, 2006, at 12:10 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:

> Hallo,
> Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
>
>> This is a different problem because messages and lists can't be
>> unified
>> without making another problem appear elsewhere. If every message
>> is seen
>> as a list then there is no way left to tell an object to do something
>> special because all possible messages get already seen as data. I've
>> already explained this in great detail on pd-list and/or pd-dev.
>> Think of
>> the "set" method for example.
>>
>> So I think that in the message-vs-list case, if there are obscure
>> problems, they should be transformed into clear problems by
>> teaching them
>> to every pd user.
>
> And also to developers: Some of the annoyances with list- vs.
> "meta"-messages are introduced by externals like those inherited from
> Max: [prepend] in all or most of its versions except [list prepend] or
> the zl-family or - in a different way - [OSCroute], because these
> output a meta-message even when they receive a proper list-message and
> thus may introduce unwanted side effects later in the processing chain
> if users aren't aware of this.
>
> AFAIR Miller's objects all work in something one could call the
> "list-message domain", which successfully prohibits these side effects
> from occuring, which makes list-processing a very comfortable thing
> again. If needed, translating a list-message to a meta-message is
> trivial, and generally this translation only is needed directly in
> front of an object when a meta-message is needed to access a method of
> this object.

I agree that Pd objects should not be clones of max objects in this
situation, and keeping things in the list domain probably makes the
most sense.  But Pd is not entirely consistent in this.  One key
example for me is that [route list] does not always output a list.
(Yes, I know, sore subject perhaps).

____

            "The arc of history bends towards justice."
                                            - Dr. Martin Luther King,
Jr.