[PD] memory with native objects

patco megalegoland at yahoo.fr
Tue May 9 23:41:43 CEST 2006

This memory will be used in patches without any external library or external file.

  memento uses pool, and textfile or msgfile needs an external textfile.
  there is also coll, but i guess you know.

  textfile, msgfile, coll, and pool, uses anyway an external file for storing data,
  that might be sometimes annoying, I don't understand why none of these objects
  could store data into a patch, is it unuseful? I just don't think so,
  on the contrary, that feature would avoid one more dependence in patches.

  This reduces a lot the variety of ways of storage,
  counting the fact that list of values are memorized (so arrays won't be usefull as well).

  This memory abstraction won't need to be opened,
  it will need to work only, but that's good if it can handle
  such amount of data without eating computer's memory and CPU.
  thanks for this comment.

  for the moment we have a memory that stores lists of numbers
  but doesn't allow index repetitions (or it will bug)
  without using any external anything.

  The purpose of this patch will come with another one, later...

shift8 <shift8 at digitrash.com> a écrit :  there are a variety of ways to make storage in pd.  Frank's Memento
system is the most used it seems, but i dont' remember if it uses all
internal objects.  if you use a more generic storage like [textfile] you
will get a lot more flexibility.

duplicates can be blocked by doing a kinda of current vs. last test
before commiting it to storage.

as a funny, i wrote 717903 * 4 ish values to the memory.pd patch.  it
worked, and didn't use much memory, and very little cpu (unless you open
the abstraction, then it pegs out for a while :)

the message box gui representation gets a little wierd w/ that many
values...

᚛᚛ᚉᚑáš
ᚔᚉᚉᚔᚋ ᚔᚈᚔ ᚍᚂᚐáš
ᚑ áš