[PD] division with remainder

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Mon May 15 12:51:45 CEST 2006

On Fri, 12 May 2006, geiger wrote:

> On Thu, 11 May 2006, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>> [div] ... and [mod] in that case.
>
> Some definitions of [mod] extend it to be able to use the real numbers
> as first parameter. So 2.45 mod 2 would be 0.45.
> I think this could be a good extension to Pd's mod object, and it
> should also be backwards compatible to its current behaviour.
> The change inside the code would be trivial. Question is how many patches
> depend on the truncation after the mod operation.

I think that [mod] should probably do whatever ANSI C or ISO math stuff
does, which I think it currently is doing.  Most programming languages
follow these conventions, so its a good idea for Pd to as well.

But the object you propose does sound handy, so maybe it should be a
separate object, like [floatmod].

.hc