[PD] non-interpolating [vd~]

Roman Haefeli reduzierer at yahoo.de
Mon May 15 17:31:40 CEST 2006

hi paris

what i can say from my experience (maybe wrong):

- it seems that pix_pix2sig~ and pix_sig2pix~ follow the sample-by-pixel,
respectively pixel-by-sample concept.
- it seems that every audio-block refers to one frame of the videostream.
- to synthesize a picture, you need to set a block~size higher/equal than
the desired resolution. if blocksize is lower than the resolution, you won't
get the whole frame converted to audio, respectively you can only draw a
part of the frame with the audio signal
- to choose freely the framerate of the videosynthesizer,  the samplerate
should be: framerate * blocksize
- of course you could use also any audio-typical samplerate and set a higher
samplerate in the processing subpatch by setting [block~], but then you have
big quantization and maybe won't come close to the desired framerate.

which settings worked for me?

-i'm using a resolution of 160x120px, that are 19200px per frame -> i set
blocksize to 32768.
-i wanted to have a framerate of 25: 32768 * 25 = 819200 Hz
i'm running it on winxp on a pentium m 1.7GHz and and my patch takes around
70% of my cpu, so this is almost the maximum i can work with in realtime.
the problem with the resolution i use now, is that it has an overhead of 41%
(1-(19200/32768).

roman