[PD] Standalone app, ID3 tagging, classification.

David Plans Casal main at davidcasal.com
Wed May 17 18:58:43 CEST 2006

Hello all,

I need to build a sound file batch processing application which will
do the following:

	a) Perform BPM detection and classification (from verySlow or
Adagio, to veryFast or Prestissimo, in 3 points)
	b) Amplitude classification (from verySoft to veryLoud in 3 points)
	c) Tag soundfiles with ID3 tags that contain the information gleaned
above (that, or use MPEG7 xml if pressed).

The user has to be able to open the tool, throw a directory of sound
files (wav or mp3) at it, and have the tool tag them with something
like '

I've so far considered building this tool using something like FMOD
or Snack (but my C++ and TCL aren't that good), and I've looked at
Schreier's paper and Beatroot, but it seems to me that these problems
have been tackled in PD before, although I've never tried to build a
completely standalone PD application...I seem to remember GRiPD and
some other efforts, but the mailing list archives aren't helping me
very much, AFAICT.

So; any advice on beat (tempo) detection, rough power amplitude
classification, and how to build standalone PD apps?

All hints welcome.

Thank you!

david

--